Year after year Istria is becoming a more and more popular destination for cyclists – whether recreational ones or top athletes coming to train.
For all those cycling lovers who wish to enjoy their rides year round, Vrsar and its exciting surroundings can offer a hatful of cycling surprises and breathtaking routes.
Your spring and autumn cycling adventure can be spiced up with a bite of the Mediterranean cuisine, in summer you can freshen up by simply taking a jump into the sea. A cosy gathering around the warm fireplace and an invigorating meal offered by a traditional Istrian tavern will provide you with the well-needed energy during winter months.
A ride around the historic centre of Vrsar to reach one of the numerous viewpoints is worthwhile – the superb view over the countless islets and the Bay of Vrsar will take your breath away!
Should you opt to leave the town that was once visited by the notorious pleasure-seeker Casanova, wooded landscape and forest trails will lead you to the Lim Bay, the famous protected nature reserve, or to the heart of Istria, to its inland marked by the ever-exchanging panoramas of rural landscape embroidered with olive grows and vineyards.
Cyclists can find more than just cycling paths in Vrsar – there are specialized accommodation facilities, the bed&bike hotels, and numerous possibilities to rent a bike.
Rent a bike MAKS
Bike, triker, scooter and quad rental.
Saline, +385 98 490 914
Rent a bike MONTRAKER SPORT CENTAR
Zona Montraker, tel. +385 91 577 4819
Rules of the trail:
- Ride on open trails only. Respect trail and road closures (ask if not sure), avoid possible tresspass on private land.
- Leave no trace. Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Practice low-impact cycling. Stay on existing trails, don’t create new ones. Don’t cut switchbacks.
- Control your bicycle! Inattention for even a second can cause problems. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations.
- Always yield trail. Make known your approach well in advance. A friendly greeting or bell is considerate and works well; don’t startle others.
- Never spook animals. All animals are startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. This can be dangerous! Running cattle and disturbing wildlife is a serious offense.
- Plan ahead. Know your equipment, your ability; and the area in which you are riding – and prepare accordingly. Be self-sufficient at all times. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.
An excellent combination of cycling and refreshing by sea breezes can be found along any of the three official and uniformly-marked bike trails in the surroundings of Vrsar. The bike trails of Vrsar are characterised by driving on unpaved roads and forest trails and partly on paved roads. There are a number of rest areas along the trails where you can learn about the culture and history of this area.
These well-marked bike trails are of different lengths and depending on your fitness you can opt for a short, circular or long trail.
The longest cycling itinerary will lead you to the protected nature reserves, along the LimBay and through the KontijaForest. This Vrsar trail is also the only trail in Istria which takes you exclusively through pure natural landscape.
More information on the bike trails of Vrsar can be found in bike maps obtainable from tourist offices and at hotel and camping site reception desks.